Wednesday, May 16, 2012

It’s time to introduce myself.

For all of you reading this who don’t know who I am, a quick introductory post is in order. My name is Jessica and I live in the Fraser Valley of beautiful British Columbia (it really easy, our license plates even say so!) and I have one gorgeous son, Andrew who is at the time of this post just about 18 months old. I work in the medical industry, as a pharmacy assistant, and I love my job. I discovered Wicca when I was 12, and practiced faithfully but secretly until I was about 21. The reason I stopped was because I was living with my husband at the time, and he did not support me in my religious choices. I still studied it here and there, but only when he wasn’t around.

When I left him and started my life over in 2008, I decided to leave my religion behind me. I felt the divorce very keenly, I was embarrassed that my relationship had failed, even though I knew it was mostly his fault – he had been abusive and controlling. I didn’t want to bring any more reason for scrutiny to myself, and so, because a lot of my family is Catholic, I put my religious beliefs aside and carried on. Until recently, when my life took a rather interesting turn, and I began to really get straight about ME. I decided that it was no longer time to stuff certain parts of me down and bury them with “normal” things. And so, out from the broom closet I came to my mother, and to Andrew’s dad, both of whom have been very supportive.

I would classify myself as an eclectic Wiccan, but mostly I follow the simple and earthy rules of Celtic Wicca, with a healthy dose of kitchen witchery thrown into it. Most of my family background is from the Celtic regions, Scottish, Irish, Welsch, Britannia, so the Celtic traditions just kind of sing to me. I feel like I’m connecting with my ancestors and my past. And in my opinion, it’s what makes you feel best that IS the best for you when it comes to Wicca.

When it comes to my religious beliefs, I’m not exactly a flag-waver. I don’t feel the need to hang a dinner-plate sized pentacle from my neck and dress in billowy skirts all the time, though don’t get me wrong, sometimes I do want to wear them. I don’t have long flowing mermaid hair, and I don’t have a familiar. I don’t even have a cat! What I am is finding a healthy balance, a nice comfortable middle ground in which to practice. I am not afraid to talk about my religion to other people, but I’m not about to launch into an hour-long discussion with random strangers about why Wicca is the best religion in the world. If it’s one thing I learned from growing up Catholic its that there is no “one way” religiously. I don’t believe that Wicca is the best for everyone. What I believe is best for everyone is religious tolerance, and I don’t mean “tolerance” in the way that you’ll impolitely suffer me to have my beliefs, I mean a genuine happiness for someone to have found the faith they love outside of what you believe. I am, for instance, quite thrilled that Catholicism is what makes my Grandma and my aunt feel a thrill of faith and love. i merely ask that they have the same respect in return.

So, with a nod to all of you people who will surely wish to proclaim that I worship Satan, and the ones that think I turn green at night time and ride a broomstick off into the moonlight, I shake my head with a pitying nod, and I recommend that you spend some time at your local library finding out about what Wicca really is. Don’t bother emailing me or sending me messages that you wish you help me convert or find Jesus. I already walked in his house, and I don’t feel comfortable there. My church is outside, among the grass and trees, sunshine and rain, the flowers, the birds, the insects, the animals, the wind and the mountains. I need no stringent rules or 10 commandments, for I have the Wiccan Rede, and the line that means the most to me: “An it harm none, do as ye will.” That is how I choose to live my life. Not necessarily out loud, but proud.

Blessed be.

No comments:

Post a Comment